Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) Instructions
Instructions detailing the use of the numeric rating scale (NRS) to assess pain intensity for persons able to self report:
||To assess pain intensity in persons who are able to self report.1|
When to Use:
- At initial intake/admission to services
- For an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours
- Any time a change in pain status is reported
- One hour following a pain intervention to assess effectiveness
- For older adults residing in long term health care settings, assessments should be completed at each quarterly review
| How to Use:
||Ask individual to point to the number on the Numeric Rating Scale that best represents the intensity of their pain NOW|
||Document/record all scores in a location that is readily accessible by others on the health care team.|
To use as a pocket guide, print the NRS and directions document front to back on card stock paper to create two tools. Cut to size and laminate for increased durability.
1 Self-report of pain is defined as the ability to indicate presence and/or severity of pain verbally, in writing, or by other means such as finger span, pointing, head movement, or blinking eyes to answer yes or no questions.
Open PDF version.