Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) Instructions
Instructions detailing the use of the numeric rating scale (NRS) to assess pain intensity for persons able to self report:
||To assess pain intensity in persons who are able to self report.1|
When to Use:
- At initial intake/admission to services
- For an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours
- Any time a change in pain status is reported
- One hour following a pain intervention to assess effectiveness
- For older adults residing in long term health care settings, assessments should be completed at each quarterly review
| How to Use:
||Ask individual to point to the number on the Numeric Rating Scale that best represents the intensity of their pain NOW|
||Document/record all scores in a location that is readily accessible by others on the health care team.|
To use as a pocket guide, print the NRS and directions document front to back on card stock paper to create two tools. Cut to size and laminate for increased durability.
1 Self-report of pain is defined as the ability to indicate presence and/or severity of pain verbally, in writing, or by other means such as finger span, pointing, head movement, or blinking eyes to answer yes or no questions.
Open PDF version.
Reviewed and Updated 9.7.15